Into the Unknown

Navigating the Eastward Passage

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year, New Job

Welcome to 2008 to anyone out there. Sorry again for the lack of posts, I started my new job in October and have been trying to establish myself at work. This has been made harder by a switch in my career (still teaching, just teaching different things) as well as school. I'm still in the East, but my new school is much different from my last - it actually reminds me of a school I was put on placement in back in the days when I was a wet behind the ears student teacher. It's a challenging place but so far I'm enjoying it more than it's getting me down and I hope the good days will become more frequent as the kids get to know me a bit more.

I've definitely met some characters so far in my time here - some in a pleasant "dimples and cheeky chappy" way, others in am "ohmigod you are possibly insane" way. It's become very clear, more so than in previous schools, the impact an unstable background can affect how children react to the rest of the world throughout their life. There are certinly problems in the community which my new school serves, now all I've got to do is to find a way to ensure that these problems outside create as little stress as possible inside the school (which is supposed to be a safe environment). Ho-hum.

Well, all the best for the year ahead (I'm going to need it).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to write any more or what? Surely you must have established yourself at work by now?

Go on. You know you want to!

Thanks for the link.

9:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home